WHERE A UAE NATIONAL OWNS OR ACQUIRES LAND IN THE UAE ON WHICH THE PERSON BUILDS HIS / HER OWN RESIDENCE, HE / SHE SHALL BE ENTITLED TO MAKE A CLAIM TO THE FTA TO REFUND THE VAT ON THE EXPENSES OF CONSTRUCTING THE RESIDENCE
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO CLAIM?
The claim may only be made by a natural person who is a UAE National
WHAT INFORMATION IS REQUIRED TO MAKE THE CLAIM ?
To support the refund claim, a series of documents is required, including for example:
- documentary proof to support that the applicant owns the specific plot of land in the UAE;
- documentary proof to support the date the building is certified as completed;
- documentary proof of the total refundable VAT that has been paid, issued by any of the verification bodies which are authorized by the FTA for this purpose.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
- Request the verification body to issue a verification report
- Submit an application form to the FTA accessible via the FTA website
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE
The Refund Form must be lodged within 6 months from the date of completion of the newly built residence which is the earlier of the date:
• the residence becomes occupied; or,
• when it is certified as completed by a competent authority in the UAE, as stipulated by the FTA.
Please factor in the time it will take to apply for and receive a verification report.
Criteria relating to the usage of expenses
• Expenses must relate to a newly constructed building which is to be used solely as a residence of the applicant and / or his / her family.
Criteria relating to the nature of expenses
Services provided by contractors, including services of builders, architects, engineers, and other similar services necessary for the successful construction of residence.
Building materials, being goods of a type normally incorporated by builders in a residential building or its site, but not including furniture or electrical appliances
ARE THERE ANY FEES FOR THE REFUND CLAIM? The FTA will not charge any fee to process your refund application. However, may be incurred a service fee from the verification body.